fb

Monday, March 28, 2011

Cell Phone Etiquette

Cell Phone Etiquette

While we sat in the audience of parents and other guests, both before and during the presentations, I heard cell phones ringing. And guess what? The cell phones were those of parents and other adults who either did not remember to turn them off, or who don’t know how to silence the ring tone. And even worse, the phone continues to ring as the owner tries to locate the pocket that holds it.

It is ironic that teens, who are sometimes scorned for excessive cell phone use and texting, are actually among the most polite when it comes to cell phone etiquette. Most teens keep their phone on silent (or vibrate) and can discreetly reply to a text message if necessary.

After my cell phone announced itself while I sat in an audience a while ago, I had my kids teach me how to effectively and easily silence both incoming calls and incoming text messages.

My request to other adults out there: learn how to silence your ringers, and remember to do it. Also, set your phone to shut down silently, so if you do forget, you can then turn it off without making a sound.

And please, if you must take a call, leave the room. You’ll be glad you did.

It looks like cell phone technology is here to stay, so we may as well all learn how to use it with the minimum of disruption, distraction and rudeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment